Friday, January 27, 2012

Roommates: pros and CONS

So it's freshman year of college, I'm in Florence, Italy, and I live in an apartment with five other guys. I'm going to be biased and say that I would rather live by myself than have roommates, but that is based on this experience with roommates that I just about hate.

So during winter break for a month I've been living by myself in the apartment because all my roommates went home. It might just be my roommates but they are slobs, before they left they were supposed to clean the apartment and take out trash and the such. They left dirty dishes in the sink, a full bag of trash(we take turns taking out the trash and the last person was supposed to take it out, but it was left here, and it wasn't supposed to be my bag to take out), and their clothes on the drying racks. The only person who cleaned their room was bedroom roommate and that was probably only because we share the room and he wanted to leave it clean for me, though I know all he did was shove stuff in his suitcase and drawers.

Let's start with why I hate roommates(maybe just my roommates this year). With roommates there are common areas and facilities: bathroom, laundry room, kitchen, and living room, and in this case bedrooms are shared too. There is very little privacy and if there is one guy who is messy they can ruin the whole apartment. I have disgusting roommates, the bathroom is always a mess, clothes lying on the floor everywhere, always dishes in the sink. Sharing a bathroom I think is gross. If they have odd sleepy habits or odd hours they can keep you up at night. This is just a college roommate problem but they often come home drunk late at night and mess up the whole apartment. I think the major down side is that space has to be shared with everyone; a small fridge has to fit all our food. That brings up another point, there is nothing stopping your roommates from taking your stuff and eating your food and when I say taking stuff that can be anything.

Ok so maybe those aren't strong points, but I really do hate my roommates, it might just be their personalities that really piss me off and the fact they all are spoiled and useless and the other stuff is just extra.

There are good points to roommates though. If they cook dinner but make too much for themselves then they give you some. You get to listen to new types of music that they like that you wouldn't usually listen to. Get to experience different family traditions. So the list of pros isn't very long, but it all depends on the roommates and yourself. If you get to room with your best friend it would be the greatest but having to live with some kids that were just thrown together sucks.

So that a quick easy summary of why I hate my roommates.

No comments:

Post a Comment